Australia Aged Parent Visa

This visa is suitable for an aged parent or the parents of a child/step-child who is a settled Australian citizen, settled permanent resident, or settled eligible New Zealand citizen. To be eligible for this visa your child must have been a citizen of Australia for a reasonable period, which is generally two years. In some cases shorter periods may be considered however you would need evidence of compelling and compassionate circumstances.

If granted, this visa will allow the aged parent or parents to remain permanently in Australia with their children.

Basic Requirements
To be eligible to apply for an Aged Parent visa, applicants must meet the age requirement, pass the 'balance of family' test and be sponsored by their child who must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen settled in Australia.

An aged parent is one who is old enough to be granted an Australian age pension. For male applicants, the qualifying age is currently 65 years and for female applicants, the qualifying age ranges from 63 to 65 depending on the applicant's date of birth.

Balance of Family
The 'balance of family' test applies to all Parent visa applicants and the applicant must demonstrate that they have:

  • at least half of their children living lawfully and permanently in Australia; or

  • more children living lawfully and permanently in Australia than in any one single country overseas.

An Aged Parent visa must be applied for onshore and applicants are required to be in Australia at the time that the visa is granted.

All Australian visa applicants are required to satisfy health and character requirements.

An Aged Parent Visa enables you and your dependent family to reside in Australia on a permanent basis.

Some additional entitlements are listed below:
  • work or study is permitted

  • access to healthcare through Medicare - subsidised by the government

  • eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to certain criteria)

  • the ability to sponsor family members for permanent residence in Australia (a waiting period applies)

  • social security (a waiting period applies)